Monday 7 May 2018

Veggie & Chickpea Tacos

Veggie & Chickpea Tacos
https://ift.tt/2HVQ5u4


A couple of weeks ago, I had two of my sisters over for dinner.  They are vegetarian, gluten-free and one doesn't eat sugar, onions or garlic.  To say the least, I had to think carefully about what I served them, especially because I happen to be a meat-eating, sugar-toothed gluten lover.  It was a Tuesday night and naturally I was craving tacos, so I thought... veggie tacos!  For some added protein, I threw chickpeas into the mix.  I used corn tortillas (gluten-free) and resisted the overwhelming urge to add garlic (however did end up making crispy onions to serve on the side).    

I loosely followed this recipe from the lovely Baker Chick for the chickpeas and slaw (using bagged broccoli slaw instead of cabbage).  Then, I roasted some julienned zucchini, sweet potatoes and yellow onions in the oven (olive oil, salt and pepper, 400 degrees, 20 minutes or so) and added those to the tacos.  Finally, I *lightly fried sliced leeks in veggie oil until they got brown and crispy, and I sprinkled those on top of everything.  Queso fresco, avocado, radishes, hot sauce... done.

*I enjoy saying "lightly fried" because it makes it sound healthier when, in fact, there is nothing "light" about it.  I'm frying food, period.

These were SO tasty, and also filling.  I didn't miss the meat or the gluten (but maybe the garlic, because I have a problem).    




https://ift.tt/2rty0IG

mohammedalmalah

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright @ 2013 Ex-Cook.

Designed by Ex-cook